Assistant Inspector General of Police Grace Turyagumanawe has been assigned a new role by the Inspector General of Police Gen.Kale Kayihura. Kayihura appointed AIGP Grace Turyagumanawe as the AIGP/Peace support operations, this is a new office which Kayihura has created in accordance with the provisions of Article 213 of the Constitution and Section 5 of the Police Act. Turyagumanawewho will be deputized by SCP Farouk Muyirima formerly Deputy Commandant Kampala Metropolitan Police. He takes on the new role with immediate effect.
He will be tasked with the following duties:
- In line with the UN Charter and Security Council Resolutions to ensure and prepare the Uganda Police Force to effectively fulfill Uganda’s Regional and International obligations in Peace Support Operations.
2. Develop a policy for Uganda Police Force in respect to Peace Support Operations.
3. In particular develop systems, plans and procedures for effective peace
4. Ensure that Uganda Police Force participates actively and effectively in the East African Standby Force.
5. In close coordination with the Director Human Resource Administration, develop the capacity and capabilities in the Uganda Police Force and prepare the Force to participate in Peace Support Operations. And to further monitor and coordinate recruitment, pre-deployment training and deployments of manpower for Peace Mission Operations. In particular coordinate, monitor and evaluate selection, training and deployment of Formed Police Units (FPUs)support operations in liaison with the African Union and United Nations.
6. Liaise with Missions and UN Headquarters-Department of Peace Keeping Operations (DPKO) on manpower requirements.
7. Develop a work plan and budget for peace support operations.
8. Develop a data base on Human Resource, equipment, deployments and infrastructure concerning Peace Support Operations.
9. Create awareness and marketing of operations of Peace Support Operations in Uganda.
10. Regularly inspect troops in UN/AU Mission Areas.
11. Carry out any other activities which from time to time will be assigned to the office in respect of Peace Support Operations.The Peace Support Operations function previously under the Directorate of Interpol and International Relations is hereby transferred to this office.
Mean while AIGP Andrew Felix Kaweesi has also been transferred from Kampala Metropolitan Police and appointed Director Operations. Other Police officers who have been transferred are;
2. SCP Haruna Isabirye is transferred from Police Headquarters and appointed Acting Commander Kampala Metropolitan Police.
3. ACP Tanui Stephen is transferred from KMP North and appointed Acting Deputy Commander Kampala Metropolitan Police.
4. SP Nganizi Wesley is transferred from Jinja Road and appointed as Acting Regional Police Commander, KMP North.
5. SP Mugisa Charles is transferred from KMP South and appointed District Police Commander, Jinja Road.