Government has warned candidates seeking electoral positions across the country to desist from holding campaigns before the time designated by the Electoral Commission (EC).
Addressing journalists on Sunday, Ms Judith Nabakooba, the Minister for ICT & National Guidance, said they have observed that some of those who got nominated immediately took to the campaign trail addressing crowds and holding processions.
“First I would like to inform all candidates and the general public that it is not yet time for campaigning. The Electoral Commission is currently working on a campaign road map that will act as a guide for all candidates,” she said.
“The campaign road map is expected to be released soon and candidates are therefore advised to wait for guidance from Electoral Commission,” she added.
The minister added that the elections are being guided by the existing COVID-19 guidelines, which
outlaw any activity that brings together crowds.“Most of the activities such as open public campaigns and processions are not acceptable.
I therefore want to call upon all leaders to lead by example and avoid situations that put people’s lives at risk. We must all understand that Uganda has surpassed the 10,000 mark in terms of confirmed cases. Currently our total stands at 10,334 cases and 96 deaths,” Ms Nabakooba said.
The minister also urged journalists to protect themselves against Covid-19.
“The Ministry of Health recently raised concern over the COVID-19 positivity rate among journalists.
Information by the Ministry of Health reveals that over 50 journalists have so far tested positive for COVID-19. As frontline workers, journalists expose themselves everyday while carrying out their duties of searching for news. It is the responsibility of every journalist to ensure that they are well protected with a masks or any other protective wear while on duty.
I also call upon all media houses, to abide by the regulations issued by Uganda Communications Communication and ensure that all your employees remain protected,” she added.